R.V. College of Engineering
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Sanskrit: Prajvalitō Jñānamaya Pradīpaḥ|
Motto in English
|Light the lamp of Knowledge|
|Principal||Dr. K N Subramanya|
|Campus||Urban, 56 acres (230,000 m2), 13 km from Bangalore city on Mysore Road.|
|Colors||White and Black|
|Affiliations||Visvesvaraya Technological University|
|Sports||University level Cricket, Association Football, Badminton, Basketball|
Rashtreeya Vidyalaya College of Engineering (RVCE or RV College of Engineering, Rāshtrīya Vidyālaya Tāntrika Mahāvidyālaya) is a private technical co-educational college located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Established in 1963, RVCE has 11 departments in engineering, one school in architecture, and a Master of Computer Applications department. It is affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. The undergraduate courses are granted academic autonomy by the university. RVCE is accredited by the All India Council for Technical Education and all its departments are accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
The college has twinning programs and tie ups with many institutions across the world, as well as collaborations with the industry. The annual festival of the college is called 8th Mile. The annual Kannada theater festival is called Rangataranga hosted by Kannada CARV(Circle of Acting in RV). The college is recognized as Centre of Excellence under Technical Education Quality Improvement Program by the Government of India. The students of RVCE run several technical clubs, supported by a variety of governmental and corporate partners, such as the Indian Space Research Organisation, and the Society of Automotive Engineers.
RVCE is spread over 51.4 acres (20.8 ha) on the banks of the Vrishabhavati River in Bengaluru. The nearest commuter railway station is Jnanabharati Station, and the nearest major railway station is the Bangalore City Railway Station.
The college has a post office with postal identification as R.V. Vidyaniketan P.O, and a bank operated by Kotak Mahindra on its campus. The canteen serves a variety of cuisines, including North Indian, South Indian and Chinese. The campus is equipped with Wi-Fi routers, over its entirety. The college also operates a health center, with round the clock medical supervision available. Students and staff can also avail on campus gym facilities as well.
RVCE has 5 hostel blocks on campus, with 3 blocks being occupied by students and 2 blocks under renovation for the coming term. The hostel blocks under use are the Diamond Jubilee Hostel for first years, New Cauvery Block for second years, third years and MCA students, & the Sir. M. Visvesvaraya Block for the final year students. The hostels on campus accommodate boys only. The college, along with the managing trust operates four other hostels in Bangalore located in Jayanagar, J.P. Nagar, and Rajarajeshwari Nagar meant exclusively for women.
A rainwater harvesting system sponsored by KPMG has been installed near the Telecommunication Engineering block, and a similar system is in place near the administrative block, the construction of which was supervised by the department of Civil engineering. Both the harvesting systems make use of a sump, and the stored water is typically used for gardening purposes.
A large percentage of the electricity is generated by solar arrays placed atop the different departments, across the college campus.
The college is managed by the Rashtreeya Shikshana Samiti Trust with its administrative offices located in Jayanagar, Bangalore. The Trust is chaired by Dr. Panduranga Setty.
Industry collaborations and MoUs
The college has industry collaborations and memorandums of Understanding with companies and universities. The college has tied up with universities in India, the United States, Germany, South Korea and Singapore. The college has twinning programs with many institutions including Konyang University, South Korea University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee; West Virginia University; University of Missouri; Lamar University, all in the United States, Aachen University and University of Münster in Germany; ISMANS, France; University of Sydney and University of Wollongong, both in Australia. The college also has ties with the Kuvempu University, Shimoga; and Mangalore University.
In 2007, RVCE signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with IT company Cognizant Technology Solutions to strengthen industry-academia partnership. In October 2009, Pace Embedded Systems opened an Embedded Systems lab at RVCE to train the students in Digital Television and Embedded Systems. The college also has industrial interactions with companies like ABB, Indian Space Research Organisation, Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike, Nvidia, Dell, Wipro, Gas Turbine Research Establishment and the Indian Railways.
The college offers placement on campus for its students. A few of the companies which have visited the college for campus placements are Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Dell, Delphi, Intel, Yahoo, IBM, Caterpillar, Accenture, ABB, Goldman Sachs, Citrix, Wipro, Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Infosys, Quest Global and Sasken.
Students are admitted to undergraduate courses on basis of their performance in either Karnataka Common Entrance Test , or in the COMED-K test. Students are also admitted through a management quota, which does not place merit requirements. There is a lateral entry scheme in place, by which students holding diploma degrees can enter directly to the second year of study in engineering. Students, upon graduating, receive a Bachelor of Engineering degree.
Course content and Grading
All the departments which have been conferred autonomous status set their own course content and grading system. RVCE follows the credit-based system of performance evaluation, with proportional weighting of courses based on their importance. The total marks (usually out of 100) form the basis of grades, with a grade value (out of 10) assigned to a range of marks. For each semester, the students are graded by taking a weighted average from all the courses with their respective credit points. Each semester's evaluation is done independently with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) reflecting the average performance across semesters. The medium of instruction is English.
RVCE has been recognised as a centre for excellence by the Union Government of India. In 2008, the college had the highest number of gold medal-winners among colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University. The department of Mechanical engineering of RVCE is the state's first degree programme in a private institution to be accredited by the National Board of Accreditation.
|Engineering – India|
Departments and courses
- Aerospace Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science And Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical And Electronics Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Information Science Engineering
- Instrumentation Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
- FHWS RVCE has an academic collaboration with the prestigious University of Applied Sciences Wurzburg-Schweinfurt, Germany.
- Master of Computer Applications
- Master of Technology offered by departments of Computer Science, Information Science, Electronics and Communication and Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Architecture
Annual college festival
8th Mile is the main annual techno-cultural festival of the college and features inter-college competitions and concerts each night, popularly known as "Pro-shows". Previous performers include KK, Indian Ocean, Usha Uthup, Raghu Dixit, Benny Dayal, Adnan Sami and Lagori.
The Science Forum of the college, consisting of freshman students conducts Genesis, the intercollegiate festival. Apart from this, each department conducts its own festivals, for example: Infinity (Department of Information Science and Engineering). These are intercollegiate technical and cultural festivals.
The Cultural Activities Team overlooks the functioning of all cultural clubs in the college which are led by student and faculty heads. Footprints, the dance club of RVCE, conducts one of the largest college hip-hop festivals called FLARE. RV Quizcorp, the quiz club of RVCE conducts the national level college and corporate quiz festival, Under the Peepal Tree each year. RVCE's theatre team, Circle of Acting at RV (CARV) has participated and won at National and International level theatre festivals in English, Hindi and Kannada. They also annually conduct a 2-day theatre festival called Coliseum which sees participation from teams from across India .KANNADA CARV hosts one of the biggest State level theatre festival "RANGATARANGA".
Cricket and Football are widely played across the college campus. The college has a cricket team, which has won major competitions like the Chamaraju Memorial inter-collegiate tournament. The college's football team has excelled in tournaments like the Visvesvaraya Technological University South Zone football tournaments. Basketball is fast gaining popularity among the women, after the women's team excelled in University tournaments, as well as other tournaments. The college Badminton team frequently excels in university-level tournaments, having won many of them.
Literary and language awareness
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
R.V. College of Engineering has one of the best Debating Societies in India,. The R.V Debating Society (RV DebSoc - as it is popularly known) takes part in tournaments across the world, with success at tournaments such as the All Asians Intervarsity Tournament, UADC, ABP. The society also participates in inter varsity competitions held by Oxford University and Cambridge University. The society also won the 2011 Asian British Parliamentary Debate held at Dhaka, Bangladesh. Since its inception, the DebSoc has won many tournaments in India. RV DebSoc also hosts the R.V Debating Tournament, which receives participation from all over India. The RV Debating Society is proud of being one of the oldest and most active, successful clubs in R.V. College of Engineering.
Kannada Sangha is the club dedicated to spreading Kannada language and cultural awareness. The club conducts Kannada classes and holds a cultural fest every year.
This section does not cite any sources. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
RVEcell, the entrepreneurship cell was started in 2006 by Pushkar Gejji, Kauser Johar and Piyush Gupta under the guidance of Prof N.S Narahari, Director Placement and Training. The cell promotes the spirit of entrepreneurship and provides a platform for the students to showcase their business talents. The organization conducts an annual business plan/ideas contest where entries are invited throughout Karnataka. The cell won the Best Microsite Award from National Entrepreneurship Network in 2006.
The Rotaract Club of RVCE is affiliated to Rotary International District 3190 The club conducts blood donation camps, National pulse polio drives, tree plantation drives and eye check-up camps. Raag is the youth club of RVCE. The club provides the students a platform to showcase their leadership skills, talents in music, art and craft and also literary interests by organizing college level events like Opinions, an open discussion forum. The club, along with the National Service Scheme unit of college, organizes visit to leprosariums and orphanages. It organizes an Eye Pledging Camp in association with the Lions Eye Bank, Bangalore.
Student Space Technology Projects
Team Antariksh is a student satellite team established in 2015 that aims to build a nanosatellite and Sounding Rocket with a research based payload, guided and monitored by various scientists from the Indian Space Research Organisation Satellite Centre and faculty from RVCE. Started by three aerospace engineering students, as of 2017 the team has a strength of more than 50 students from all fields of engineering. The flagship project of the team is RVSAT-1, which is a 2U nanosatellite that is scheduled to be launched in 2019, carrying a microbiological payload.
StudSat is a team of students of RVCE, along with students from some other colleges in the country and the Indian Space Research Organisation, teamed up to make the first pico satellite in India, called StudSat. The pico satellite was launched by the PSLV C-15 on 12 June 2010 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The camera on board has a low resolution of 90 metres. The panchromatic images are designed to provide terrain information during the satellite's short lifespan of six months to one year.
Society of Automotive Engineers Events
Ashwa Racing is a Formula racing car that won the "Best Car from South Asia" award in the Formula Society of Automotive Engineers event in Germany. The team was also the first Indian team to compete in the FSAE event in 2005 in Australia, which won the "Best Value for Money" award. The project team has been awarded the "Young Achiever 2007" award, an award instituted by the Rotary Midtown and the Brigade Group. Team Vyoma is a student group that designs and manufactures UAVs (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles) to participate in Aerodesign competitions conducted by the Society of Automotive Engineers in Marietta, GA; and in Brazil. The team is the first Asian team to compete in the Aerodesign competitions.
Team Helios Racing is a group of students who designed an All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) that can travel on muddy swamps and climb up hills. The vehicle entered the "Mini BAJA Challenge" — an international challenge in Pretoria in October 2006, and became the national champion at Baja Student India in January 2015.
The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) operates a student branch in RVCE. It organises many events, some of them being a workshop LabVIEW (Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Engineering Workbench), which is a platform and development environment for a visual programming language from National Instruments, various paper presentation competitions, and a seminar competition. IEEE PES RVCE chapter was Inaugurated in the year 2015 which organises events pertaining to Electrical Engineering.
The college robotics team, Astra Robotics, was set-up officially in 2015, under the umbrella of the Department of Electronics and Communication. The Team regularly participates and wins in National and International level competitions, such as Shaastra, the annual techfest conducted by IIT Madras, Engineer, the techfest conducted by NIT Surathkal, Mercedes-Benz Annual Hackathon & The Delta Cup, organized by the Delta Group in China, to name a few.
Garuda, a fuel-efficient, aerodynamic car, was designed by the Mechanical engineering students. The car reportedly gives a mileage of 180 kilometers per litre of fuel. Project Garuda members were the only team from India to participate in the Shell Eco Marathon held at Rockingham Raceway, Corby, UK. Project Garuda was awarded the `Most Persevering Team' award, which is given to the best first-time participant every year.
Eight students of the RV College of Engineering developed a vehicle consuming water as a fuel. Together, they have developed a water-powered hybrid auto rickshaw. The team has developed an inexpensive and simple retrofit kit for auto rickshaws.
In June 2008, the students developed a prototype of a hybrid-electric vehicle that uses both electric energy and diesel mixed with bio-diesel. According to The Hindu, this is the first indigenous hybrid-electric prototype in the country and among very few prototypes to use bio-diesel. The project, codenamed ‘Chimera', was conceived and the prototype developed by the final year students of four engineering disciplines — Mechanical, Electrical and Computer science and Industrial engineering.
- Anil Kumble, the former coach and captain of the Indian Cricket Team
- Chetan Baboor, the former international table tennis champion and Arjuna award winner
- Asha Bhat, Miss Supranational 2014 and Bollywood actress
- National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal.
- BMS College of Engineering, Bengaluru.
- PES University, Bengaluru.
- "Quality is the motto". The Hindu. 16 August 2004. Archived from the original on 17 July 2010. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- https://rvce.edu.in/principal-rvce. Missing or empty
- "VTU Circular" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "RVCE Departments". RVCE, Bangalore. 22 January 2010. Archived from the original on 16 January 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2011.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 27 November 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "R V College of Engineering". www.rvce.edu.in. Archived from the original on 13 June 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Amenities in RVCE". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 7 March 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "RVCE pact with University of South Korea". The Hindu. 25 April 2002. Archived from the original on 27 October 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Newsletter" (PDF). Association of Kannada Kootas of America (AKKA). Archived (PDF) from the original on 20 January 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Profile of School of Architecture, RVCE". RVCE, Bangalore. Archived from the original on 25 June 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Politique Internationale de I'ISMANS" (PDF). ISMANS. Retrieved 18 June 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Collaborations". R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 6 December 2010. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Kuvempu offers PG course in nanoscience". The Hindu. 21 April 2008. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Special science courses". The Hindu. 12 November 2007. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE, Cognizant enter into MoU". The Hindu. 28 June 2007. Archived from the original on 26 October 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Pace India sets up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". The Financial Express. 14 October 2009. Archived from the original on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Pace India Sets Up Pace Embedded Systems Lab at R.V. College of Engineering". Business Wire, India. 14 October 2009. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- CET 2010 Bulletin, Status of Engineering Seats, Karnataka Examinations Authority, Government of Karnataka, p.1-5
- "PGCET Seat Matrix" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on 22 September 2010. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- RVCE Brochure, Year 2010, p.1-28
- Staff Correspondent (11 March 2008). "RVCE students bag highest number of gold medals". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 10 February 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "AICTE accreditation for 'flagship programme' in RVCE". The Hindu. 3 August 2000. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2018.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Engineering)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.
- "Indulging in a creative experiment". Deccan Herald. Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE fest from May 1". The Hindu. 1 April 2011. Archived from the original on 6 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "8th Mile RVCE site". RVCE. 5 August 2009. Archived from the original on 10 January 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "A bigger 'Peepal Tree'". The Hindu. 2 March 2011. Archived from the original on 9 March 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE posts win". The Hindu. 22 April 2011. Archived from the original on 26 April 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "RVCE clinches title". The Hindu. 5 March 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "MSRIT, RVCE win titles". The Hindu. 25 October 2009. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Double for RVCE". The Hindu. 30 March 2006. Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 18 June 2011.
- "Thoda hatke clubs". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 31 May 2009. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- "Winners at robotics competition". Deccan Herald. 12 October 2007. Archived from the original on 9 July 2011. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- "Team Antariksh website". Archived from the original on 5 September 2017.
- "Welcome Studsat". The Hindu. 22 July 2010. Archived from the original on 2 March 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "PSLV countdown progressing smoothly". The Hindu. 11 July 2010. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "Racing on life's highway: Students build race car from scratch". MeriNews. 20 November 2007. Archived from the original on 8 June 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Campus capsule". The Hindu. 5 November 2007. Archived from the original on 11 October 2008. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Bangalore team for aerodesign competition in Brazil". Deccan Herald. 14 October 2009. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flying High on Innovation". The Hindu. 12 May 2008. Archived from the original on 8 November 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2011.
- "RVCE students design all-terrain vehicle". The Hindu. 9 October 2006. Archived from the original on 26 January 2012. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "IEEE RVCE Site". IEEE, RVCE Branch. 20 December 2009. Archived from the original on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Garuda, the car that runs 180 km per litre!". Rediff news. 6 August 2008. Archived from the original on 31 January 2009. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE Students' Garuda, a Super-mileage Car". Techtree news. 6 August 2008. Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "RVCE team rocks UK motor event". Times of India. 25 July 2009. Archived from the original on 4 November 2016. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Now, a water-powered auto rickshaw". rediff.com. 29 July 2009. Archived from the original on 26 March 2010.
- "RVCE students develop hybrid e-vehicle prototype". Business Standard. 10 June 2008. Archived from the original on 7 June 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
- "Flight Of The Condor". Outlook India. 22 February 1999. Archived from the original on 23 January 2011. Retrieved 19 October 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to R.V. College of Engineering.|