Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital
|Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital|
Former Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital
|Care system||NHS Scotland|
|Lists||Hospitals in Scotland|
The hospital was established with surplus funds arising from disbandment of the Scottish Women's Hospitals for Foreign Service, an organisation which had been formed by Elsie Inglis and which had sent hospital units to France, Serbia, Russia, Corsica and Greece during the First World War. The 20-bed hospital opened in July 1925. The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948 and was directly managed by the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. After services transferred to the Eastern General Hospital, the facility closed in 1988.
The facility subsequently re-opened as a private nursing home, but following an investigation into the death of a 59-year-old woman, it closed again in 2011.
- "Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital". Lothian Health Service Archive. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Elsie Inglis". Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh. Retrieved 27 January 2019.
- "Elsie Inglis Nursing Home in Edinburgh closes down". BBC News. 27 May 2011. Retrieved 27 January 2019.