La Jolla Country Day School
|La Jolla Country Day School|
9490 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037
|Motto||Scientia Pacifica (Peace through Knowledge)|
|Established||1926 (as the Balmer School)|
|Head of school||Dr. Gary W. Krahn|
|Grades||Nursery through Grade 12|
|Number of students||1,200 |
|Color(s)||Royal Blue, White|
La Jolla Country Day School (known informally as "Country Day" or "LJCDS") is an independent school in La Jolla, a community of San Diego, California. The school contains a lower school (consisting of nursery through fourth grade), a middle school (grades 5-8), and an upper school (grades 9-12).
The school's motto is "Scientia Pacifica" (peace through knowledge).
Louise Balmer moved her four children to California after the death of her husband, and earned a teaching certificate. In 1926 she used a small house on Coast Boulevard as a makeshift schoolhouse for four students  and three teachers. The Balmer School expanded, eventually holding classes in kindergarten through fifth grade in what is now the La Jolla Historical Society on Prospect Street. In 1955, the school received its charter to teach middle and upper school classes, and in 1961 moved to its current location. The first class of seniors graduated in 1964.
La Jolla Country Day School is accredited by the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS) and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). In addition, the school is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) and the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE).
- Tucker Carlson, conservative political commentator and author, attended, but did not graduate.
- Jandy Nelson ’83, author of young adult fiction including The Sky Is Everywhere and I'll Give You the Sun
- Emma Caulfield ’91, actress, best known for her role as Anya Jenkins on the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- David Chan ’91, violinist, and a concertmaster of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
- Kate Dillon Levin ’92, the first plus-size model to appear in U.S. Vogue and a Gucci campaign
- Jared Polis ’93, Governor of Colorado
- Rashaan Salaam ’92, running back in the NFL, winner of the 1994 Heisman Trophy
- Joe Carson ’95, professional astronomer and discoverer of extrasolar planets
- Alexandra Stevenson ’99, professional tennis player and former top-20 player in singles
- Diego Rovira ’00, former indoor soccer player for the San Diego Sockers
- Candice Wiggins ’04, former professional basketball player and winner of the 2011 WNBA Championship
- Chrystina Sayers ’05, singer, member of the girl group Girlicious
- Miles McMillan’07, painter and model, Daily Front Row's 2016 Model of the Year
- Kelsey Plum '13, current guard for the San Antonio Stars; all-time career scoring leader in NCAA Division I women's basketball
- La Jolla Country Day School Official website
- C-SPAN Q&A interview featuring LJCDS American government and history teacher Sarah Bakhiet, July 3, 2005