This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|T800 / CTS800|
|AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat installation|
|National origin||United States|
|Major applications||AgustaWestland AW159 |
Boeing-Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche
TAI/AgustaWestland T129 ATAK
The LHTEC T800 is a turboshaft engine for rotary wing applications. It is produced by the LHTEC (Light Helicopter Turbine Engine Company), a joint venture between Rolls-Royce and Honeywell. The commercial and export version is the CTS800. The engine was primarily developed for the United States Army's cancelled RAH-66 Comanche armed reconnaissance helicopter, but has found use in other applications.
Design and development
The engine was originally developed for the United States Army's LHX armed reconnaissance helicopter competition, competing against the Avco/Pratt & Whitney T800. The LHTEC T800 was selected to power the LHX in 1988. The Boeing-Sikorsky team was selected to build the RAH-66 Comanche in 1991. A pair of T800-powered RAH-66 prototypes were constructed and underwent flight testing between 1996 and 2004. The LHX program was canceled in 2004, primarily due to cost overruns during its lengthy development, and the US Army's changing requirements.
- AgustaWestland Super Lynx 300 (CTS800-4N)
- AgustaWestland AW159 Wildcat (CTS800-4N)
- Ayres LM200 Loadmaster (LHTEC CTP800-4T) (aircraft not built)
- Boeing-Sikorsky RAH-66 Comanche (canceled)
- ShinMaywa US-2 (CTS800-4K) - boundary layer compressor drive
- Sikorsky X2 (T800-LHT-801)
- TAI/AgustaWestland T129 ATAK (CTS800-4A)
- TAI T625
Data from
- Type: turboshaft
- Length: 31.5 inches (0.80 m)
- Dry weight: 315 pounds (143 kg)
- Compressor: 2CFHP
- Turbine: 2HP, 2PT
- Maximum power output: 1,563 shp (1,166 kW)
- Specific fuel consumption: ~0.459 lb/hp/h (279 g/kW/h)
- Power-to-weight ratio:
- Leyes, p. 213-216
- Stevenson, Richard W. (6 April 1991). "Boeing-Sikorsky Gets Copter Pact". The New York Times. Retrieved 20 August 2018.
- Fulghum, David A.; Wall, Robert (29 February 2004). "Comanche Helicopter Program Killed". Aviation Week.
- "Army cancels Comanche helicopter". CNN. 23 February 2004. Archived from the original on 25 October 2012. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Leyes II, Richard A.; William A. Fleming (1999). "5". The History of North American Small Gas Turbine Aircraft Engines. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution. ISBN 1-56347-332-1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LHTEC T800.|