User:Halidecyphon/things that really frustrate me
The Lists of Songs
Have a look at Category:Lists of songs. Yeech. --Halidecyphon 20:31, 18 Apr 2005 (UTC) Happily, this discussion has found a home at Wikipedia_talk:Centralized_discussion/Lists_of_songs. Halidecyphon 07:01, 13 September 2005 (UTC)
The "How-to" pages
To my dismay, it has become wikipedia policy to allow and even encourage manuals to be published as articles. Instead of keeping information on the construction of transformers inside that article under a "Construction" heading, we have both that article and How to make a transformer. There are tens of these articles, ranging from How to wash your car to How_to_choose_your_pet_and_take_care_of_it. To see the full list, go here here.
Object to the existance of these articles for the following reasons:
- Wikipedia should not become a guidebook. Guidebooks are great resources, and belong on Wikibooks, a Wikipedia sister project. One of the ten categories of Wikibooks is How-tos. Wikipedia, on the other hand, is an encyclopedia.
- These articles undermine the organization of wikipedia by duplicating or making inaccessable information that is in already existing articles (see transformers example above.)
- Two of the how-tos have already been dealt with, and you can help out on the third: Talk:Car_washing_techniques#It_is_a_how-to -- Egil 12:25, 8 October 2005 (UTC)
The "Status of religious freedom" pages
Just came across these.
Object: to the existance of the articles for the following reasons:
- The articles tend to be highly POV and lean towards being original research
- Most of the useful information belongs Separation of church and state or in Religious freedom, if not in the country page.
- All of the NPOV warnings (none of which were put up by me) have been removed by an anonymous user
- If the articles are kept as individual articles, they should not be called merely "Religious freedom in Wherever", with no "Status of".
Solution: While I believe much of the information in these pages is useful and even encyclopedic, the information should be merged to where it belongs, and the pages should be deleted. --Halidecyphon 12:51, 9 Apr 2005 (UTC)
- Anti-globalization and Anti-Semitism Majority voted to delete, but no consensus.
- Fix history section in OPEC - restore information from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=OPEC&diff=5913032&oldid=5740892